Thursday, March 4, 2010

Another student interview

Hi everyone - we have another student interview to publish, this one from Brittany Godorov of Muhlenberg.  Enjoy!
---

Name: Brittany Godorov
College: Muhlenberg College
Major: Accounting and Finance
Graduating Class: May 2011

What are you interested in doing once you graduate college?
My ultimate career aspiration is to own my own bakery. In order to achieve this goal, I decided to major in accounting and finance so that I may first understand how “big” business functions, gain some experience, network, and then branch off into the world of small business enterprise. Upon graduation, I would like to work at an accounting or finance firm. I am currently working for VITA, helping individuals and families file their taxes in the Lehigh Valley, and am really enjoying my experience. This may be an avenue of accounting I would like to explore further.
What made you want to join The Chamber?
My decision to join the Chamber was based on a few reasons. One of those reasons is the ability to tap into the resources within the organization. With my goals for the future, I realized that this would be an excellent group to utilize to learn the skills I will need for a career in accounting or finance, or as an entrepreneur. In addition, I felt this would be an excellent way to network with professionals in the area, seeing as that I will need to learn from the experts how to run a small business and meet those individuals who can assist me in my ultimate career aspiration.

Are you originally from the Lehigh Valley? Do you plan on staying here when you graduate?
I am not originally from the Lehigh Valley; however, I have lived here for a little over 10 years now. Prior to moving here, my family resided in Sugarloaf, Pa near Hazelton as well as Lancaster, Pa. I graduated from Parkland High School in 2007 and am now a junior at Muhlenberg College.
I am also interested in staying in the Lehigh Valley upon graduation. Remaining here would allow me to capitalize on my knowledge of the area, its dedicated clientele, and rich culture. Business in the Lehigh Valley appears to be thriving and expanding. I would be foolish not to capitalize on this opportunity as I pursue my entrepreneurial efforts with opening my own bakery. Also, being near family is important to me which is one of the reasons why I remained in the Valley to pursue my undergraduate degree.

What do you think the business community can do to help keep college students here once they graduate?
I think the business community could offer jobs, mentorships, or co-op opportunities where students or recent graduates are trained under a one or two year contract to gain experience. This would allow the students to develop skills even if they cannot be guaranteed a full time position. In addition, companies will have some extra hands to help with the business without the cost of a full time employee. In this economy, I can see how hard it is to find a position, but all I really want to do is gain experience and learn the skills necessary to succeed in my career aspirations.

Anything else you want to tell us about yourself or your career interests?
Currently at Muhlenberg, I am working in the Student Activities Office as a Presidential Assistant. This entry-level management position requires me to work 20 hours a week in exchange for tuition reimbursement. It affords me the skills necessary for the future while allowing me to continue my education as a student. Over the past two years as a Presidential Assistant, I have seen myself grow as an individual and team player, learning to work with people of all ages and from different walks of life: students, faculty, staff, and community organizations. I look forward to continuing to grow from this experience, hone both my personal and professional skills, and gain an invaluable understanding about a supportive and productive work environment this department at Muhlenberg College represents.

In my spare time, I love to bake. It is often my escape from the stress of school; and my friends don’t seem to mind either! Whenever I get the opportunity, I like to draw and paint. I also enjoy spending time with my family and friends and am a true dog lover.

This spring, I’m also training for my first 5K, so please wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is truly a wonderful example ot our youth in transition. Here is a person who is determined to make something of themselves.
This is just so refreshing.