The scandal has brought new focus to a rarely examined governing board and serves as a word of caution to anyone charged with corporate or non-profit governance. But, many questions remain about the actual Board of Trustees, what they do, and who they are. Here are some answers:
- Selection of a University President.
- Selection of major university goals.
- Review and approval of annual budget, including tuition hikes.
- Keeping the residents of the Commonwealth informed of the status of the University and its role in terms of educating Pennsylvanians.
- Maintaining and development of relationships between PSU and key stakeholders in the Commonwealth and the United States.
- Day to day management of the University is delegated to the President of PSU, with the Board still having power to make recommendations.
- Five trustees ex-officio members, including:
- The President of the University
- Governor of the Commonwealth
- Pennsylvania Secretary of Agriculture
- Pennsylvania Secretary of Education
- Pennsylvania Secretary of Conservation and Natural Resources.
- Six trustees appointed by the Governor
- Nine trustees are elected by the alumni
- Six trustees are elected by organized agricultural societies within Pennsylvania
- Six trustees are elected by the Board of Trustees from the business and industry endeavors