Monday, October 8, 2012

Growing Your Business in 2012- Guts


We have a guest blog today from Carol Ritter of Carol Talks! Today's post focuses ways you can grow your business in the modern era.

I was sitting in a hotel lobby recently waiting to meet with one of my clients, checking my email and sipping on a warm cup of gingerbread coffee.  The General Manager, Jim, was behind the desk and it seemed a few of his golfing buddies from the past had come to pay a short visit.  “What happened to you.? What happened to your golf pro career?”  The GM replied, “I’m still teaching golf, I do it every day.”  His friend asked,  “How do you do it managing two hotels?”  “I teach every afternoon on my way home from work.  I leave work at 2:00 and my swing is better than it’s ever been.  I see retirement in two years and my wife and I are moving to Hawaii.”  I really starting to pay attention, asking myself,  “What’s this guy’s secret?” 

His buddies asked the same questions.  He proudly boasted, “Twelve years ago I was the happiest guy in the world.  Golf was my passion and I gave up a tiring career in hotel management and gave up a big salary to follow my dream.  One day a gentleman signed up for lessons and we started to chat.  He told me how he owns two hotels and needs a GM with a lot of experience, especially in handling people.  When he came back for his fourth lesson he asked me what would it take to leave here and run my hotels. I can’t think of a thing, I love my job.”  He then offered Jim an incredible salary with plenty of benefits.   Jim called him the next morning and said NO THANKS,  “I’m just love golfing too much.”

Two days later he brings his partner in to double team Jim.  “Jim, really, there has to be something we can give you to get you to leave and work for us.” He told Jim to write it down on a piece of paper and meet for lunch tomorrow.  So he did! 

Here’s what the note said - Buy me a house - I accept the salary and benefits - I work from 7-2 so I can still teach golf and I will sign a two year contract.  The partners said, “Congratulations Jim, see you Monday morning at 7am.” 

Now that takes a lot of guts, a little bit of luck and over the top courage.

Do you have guts and courage, both necessary as a business leader?  Are you willing to ask for something that seems impossible to take your business to the next level?  Are you able to identify lady luck when she plants her roots right in front of you?  And, do you surround yourself with people who would encourage you to at least consider those gutsy decisions?  Think about it....Next time it could be you!!

Carol serves as a featured writer for the Home News and the Lehigh Valley Chamber Blog

Carol is an accomplished professional speaker, coach and educational consultant specializing in innovative leadership, outrageous fundraising, million dollar marketing, and building organizational alliances throughout the country.  Carol’s creative  leadership with bullet proof ideas for recruiting MORE MEMBERS, MORE MONEY AND BETTER LEADERS. www.caroltalks.com 610-442-4545 tellkids@aol.com  Visit Carol on Facebook at Caroltalks

1 comment:

Enterprise Mobile Apps and Beyond said...

Excellent tips! Thanks for sharing!