Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Guest blog post from Kayte Connelly of Best Principled Solutions
The Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Lehigh Valley, celebrated International Women’s Day with a power-packed panel of successful women. The conversation featured Fusun Bubernack, Eastern Telephone & Telecommunications; Ethel Drayton-Craig, PhD, lifestyle author and blogger; Dr. Samina Wahhab, plastic surgeon; Varsovia Fernandez, executive director, Greater Philadelphia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce; and Maria Montero, Esq., PA Commission on Latino Affairs and Commission on Women Affairs.
The conversation was facilitated by Carmen Toro, Owner, Beauty Alibi who directed a series of questions as the audience eagerly absorbed compelling answers.
Here are my interpretations for key concepts that were shared. Some are familiar; some offered in a different manner. Each could be introduced into your annual goals and practiced to form a habit over the course of a year.
1. Thank God every day for giving you the gift of the day and welcome the opportunities that are presented to you.
2. Be a servant leader. Be a mentor.
3. Provide exquisite experiences to everyone
4. Always strive for higher altitudes.
5. When you have a lot of irritants and lose focus, ships often go to strangers.
6. Never give up on following your dream.
7. Push yourself to be uncomfortable and try different things. Break a habit, look at opportunities and expand new horizons.
8. Become a good community steward. Become a leader in the community to take care of what’s coming along, “Beyond Now.”
9. Discover who you are. Be authentic. Don’t let others mold you.
10. Use more grace and finesse to get better results, rather than muscle.
11. You cannot control time. Know what you want and pick it. You CAN have it all, but not at the same time.
12. Have a solid cache of contacts who are experts.
As a new member of the Greater Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce this was a strong introduction into this program, and one I was very happy to sponsor. Other sponsors included equinox; RestoreCore; AmericaVen and Lanta. Well done Alvaro! Here’s to many more.
Kayte Connelly CCT, Best Principled Solutions LLC, is a leadership coach and organizational consultant. She was recently named to the National Legislative Planning Committee for the 2013 Americans for the Arts Advocacy Days and serves as Chair of Board Engagement Committee for Art-Reach, Inc., Philadelphia. She has been selected twice as a Woman of Accomplishment by the Women’s Yellow Pages of Greater Philadelphia; twice named as Member of the Year by the Greater Philadelphia Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners and many other Small Business honors from the Philadelphia Business Journal.
Best Principled Solutions LLC is the founding member of the Greater Lehigh Valley Leadership Consortium who will be hosting the 2013 Chick-fil-A Leadercast on May 10 at DeSales University.
For more information, go to www.bestprincipledsolutions.com or write firstname.lastname@example.org.