Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Growing Your Business in 2013 - You've Got Mail!

Guest Blog from Carol Ritter of CarolTalks.com.

Sometimes email gets a bad rap.  The real question is, does it make more work for you or does it make it easier to communicate with your colleagues and friends?  What do you think?  For my work, I love it.  I can crank out an answer in seconds and I love crossing things off my to-do list.  Then, there’s the junk and the sales (sometimes good sales) and don’t forget the drugs you don’t need or want that they are trying to sell you. 

Remember that movie, You’ve Got Mail?  Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan would rush home to turn on their computers and wait for the mysterious, sometimes humorous emails from each other.  Back then I wonder if they ever thought email would become such a BIG piece of our lives.  Even though I love it, I do have my limits.  Here are my Pet Peeves:

Carol’s 5 Email Pet Peeves - You’ve Got Mail

the fake email dressed up like it’s from a friend and it’s really from a scam artist
the emails that don’t let you unsubscribe but say they do
the class reunion emails from people I did not go to school with
the emails from someone stranded in a foreign country who needs money immediately
and the emails telling me I should join a dating site for people over 55

Now that we are done complaining, here are my ideas for utilizing email in your biz....

Make sure future customers can email you through your free social media-Facebook & LinkedIn

Have your email address on all marketing materials (make it easy to find) - I was recently at a networking event, a guy gave me his business card with no email address on it

Don’t forget to offer free stuff and specials- keep customers coming back

Collect email addresses at your place of business or through networking


I really don’t mind getting emails telling me what’s on sale, where I can get a deal or a nice note from a friend.  I love the fact that I have written documentation of tasks completed and a quick response sometimes saves the day. When it comes to GROWING UR BIZ - email is now a necessity, so turn on your computer, click on your email and see if You’ve Got Mail!

Carol serves as a featured writer for the Home News and the Lehigh Valley Chamber Blog. Carol is an accomplished professional speaker, coach and educational consultant specializing in innovative leadership, outrageous fundraising, million dollar marketing, and building organizational alliances throughout the country.  Carol’s creative  leadership with bullet proof ideas for recruiting MORE MEMBERS, MORE MONEY AND TER LEADERS. www.caroltalks.com 610-442-4545 tellkids@aol.com  Like Carol on  Facebook at Caroltalks and CarolCoaches!  Carol S. Ritter, Immediate Past President, National Speakers Association Philadelphia

No comments: