Monday, August 5, 2013

Growing Your Business in 2013 - Seizing

Guest blog post from Carol Ritter of CarolTalks.com.

I’m a lifelong fester.  Haven’t missed a Musikfest in 30 years.  When my kids were young we were there from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Now I’m lucky if I can do noon to 9 p.m.  Day 1 this year, I was cruising the festival, Day 2, it’s time to taste the wonderful fest-food...how about a pork sundae loaded with coleslaw, then off to Mr. Bill’s for a chicken sausage sandwich for mom, and on to Karl Ehmer’s to taste the bratwurst.  I was searching hard for a piece of fruit and came upon mango on a stick, whoa, new idea, new stand, lines long, it must be working. 

I was thinking about networking and how most of us with the networking DNA have the ability to “SEIZE” every opportunity that comes our way.  I’m into Day 3, settled into the entertainment  plan for the week.  I began seeking out the Daisy Jug Band, The Nerds, Oasis, and a world-renowned pianist right here in the Lehigh Valley. Between shows folks gather for great conversation, “where you going next, have you tried the dirty banana smoothie and how many days can we take of this pace?” 

The moment is about to happen, I run into an old friend, she tells me she works in a specific industry and they need to raise dollars.  I tell her I do that, I provide board retreats for non-profits to increase board engagement, increase funding, set goals, design a plan and take the organization to the next level.  It’s time to SEIZE!  She asked for my card (I didn’t have one because I was festing) and I had to write my phone number on the Musikfest program.  She’s going to recommend me on Monday.

Here’s CarolTalks “SEIZE the MOMENT” tips...

1.   Don’t be like me, carry your business cards with you everywhere
2.   Listen to what others do and how you might work together
3.  Always be willing to help them, I’m going to look for opportunities for her too
4.  Networking doesn’t only happen at “Networking Events” it can happen anywhere even Musikfest
5.  Be aware of opportunities that can translate into business

I’m heading down for Day 4 today, have my business cards packed and my eyeglass lens focused on “SEIZING” just as much as I’m looking forward to the Amish Outlaws and the AwShucks corn!

Carol serves as a featured writer for the Home News and the Lehigh Valley Chamber Blog. Carol is an accomplished professional speaker, coach and educational consultant specializing in innovative leadership, outrageous fundraising, million dollar marketing, and building organizational alliances throughout the country.  Carol’s creative  leadership with bullet proof ideas for recruiting MORE MEMBERS, MORE MONEY AND TER LEADERS. www.caroltalks.com 610-442-4545 tellkids@aol.com  Like Carol on  Facebook at Caroltalks and CarolCoaches!  Carol S. Ritter, Immediate Past President, National Speakers Association Philadelphia

No comments: