Monday, November 18, 2013

Growing Your Biz in 2013 - Excuses

Guest blog post from Carol Ritter of CarolTalks.com

I follow Seth Godin, best selling author, he says that the attributes many of us value in co-workers, bosses, employees, friends and vendors are honesty, curiosity, flexibility, thoughtfulness, generosity, fun, commitment, respectful, organized, interested, creative, likable, positive, proactive and, yes, even punctual.  He goes on to say that if you have these attributes you can go from ordinary to a super star.

So I was thinking that I want the clients I work with to be all of those, don’t you?  But first, I think we need to look into the obvious.  Do you choose to be honest or were you born honest?  Do you choose to be flexible or were you born with flexibility? Do you choose to be on time or did you arrive on time the day you were born so you now can be punctual forever?  Is it possible to be all of these or do we need to pick the easy ones and then work on the rest?

Which brings me to the all time favorite reason why some people just can’t measure up.  EXCUSES!  The traffic was bad, my alarm didn’t go off, I got a phone call, the sun was in my eyes, I ran out of gas, my car wouldn’t start, I forgot, and on and on and on.  I think the moral of the story is if you expect your clients to have those attributes you may want to set the example yourself for your staff, your clients, your volunteers, and your future clients.   We all know there’s nothing like a great reputation to grow ur biz.  Here’s what it takes...

Honest - tell the truth, Curiosity - take time to learn, Flexibility - come to the table wiling to change, Thoughtfulness - think of others first, Generosity - show your charitable side, Fun - just do it, Commitment - be loyal, Respectful - earn it and give it, Organized - clean up, Interested - care, Creative - share ideas, Likable - you can’t fake that, Positive - drop the negatives, Proactive - take the lead, Punctual, SHOW UP - ON TIME!

I believe these attributes are a result of our upbringing, our exposure to others who have them and the desire to aspire to be not just your ordinary business but a business filled with super stars.  NO EXCUSES!

Carol S. Ritter, Motivational Speaker 
Results Only Business Coach & Featured Writer
610-442-4545 


No comments: