Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Growing Your Biz in 2013 - I Have a Tip for You

Guest blog post from Carol Ritter of CarolTalks.com

No matter what business you are in, more than likely, you are really in the people business.  What that means is people must be more important than paper, more important than stocking shelves and more important that yourself.  

I was on the road this week and stopped to have dinner at a restaurant out of town.  The restaurant was full so I sat at the bar.  After about five minutes a waitress came over and asked what I would like to drink, I ordered an iced tea.  I was busy checking email and didn’t realize that the tea didn’t come, but all of a sudden I realized there were some good looking guys at the other end of the bar and she was talking, flirting, giggling and completely engrossed in that conversation.  I waited and waited, the tea finally came and she asked if I would like to order.  I ordered a salmon salad.  She then brought out this magnificent bean dip as a complimentary appetizer.  Five minutes, more giggling, ten minutes,, more talking fifteen minutes, more flirting, twenty minutes more of all three.  So it took 30 minutes to make a salad.  When I finally received it the salmon on the salad the was cold which means that is was sitting back there for sometime.  After the salad was delivered it was all over.  She parked herself at the end of the bar and more of the same.  After I finished the meal it looked like she had no intention of getting me the bill.  OK, LOSING PATIENCE ALERT.  I popped out of my seat walked over to her and said, “I’m ready for my bill.”  All of a sudden she came running down and she was alive, “Can I get you anything else, how was your meal, how about more tea?” and on and on.  TIP TIME!

Help me, should I tip at all, should I tip 10%, should I tip 15 %, should I tip 20%?  The service was mediocre at best.  The food was good but cold.  The waitress was completed engrossed in the good looking guys.  Doesn’t she want to make money?

So the real question is: Is tipping required or earned?  Maybe I’m wrong but I always believed it was earned.

How could she have improved her service?
  1. The restaurant manager could have been paying attention (zzzz)
  2. She could have updated us on our food
  3. She might have asked to refill my ice tea before the bill came
  4. She could have apologized for the delay (apologies go a long way)
  5. She might have shown just a tad of interest
So I have a tip for you, customers come first, everything else second!!

Carol S. Ritter, Motivational Speaker 
Results Only Business Coach & Featured Writer
610-442-4545 
  
Watch for my new website launch coming soon.

Carol serves as a featured writer for the Home News and the Lehigh Valley Chamber Blog.Carol is an accomplished professional speaker, coach and educational consultant specializing in innovative leadership, outrageous fundraising, million dollar marketing, and building organizational alliances throughout the country.  Carol’s creative  leadership with bullet proof ideas for recruiting MORE MEMBERS, MORE MONEY AND TER LEADERS. www.caroltalks.com 610-442-4545 tellkids@aol.com  Like Carol on  Facebook at Caroltalks and CarolCoaches!  Carol S. Ritter, Immediate Past President, National Speakers Association Philadelphia

No comments: