Saturday, May 17, 2014

Growing UR Biz in 2014 - Whining



Guest blog from Carol Ritter of CarolTalks.com

So, I’m walking down the hall of a hotel I stayed at recently.  Just minding my own business when I stopped to check out the weather on a TV monitor.  Two employees were sitting near the TV (dressed in the official uniform) and talking like I wasn’t there.  “Did you know I worked 12 hours yesterday?”  “I’m not going to last long in this job, they take away my social life.  How many hours did you work?”   He replied,  “10 hours, that’s just not right, I’m constantly getting called in and if you say ‘no’ there will be consequences.”   “My boss doesn’t care about me, she only is concerned with filling the shift.  I’m sick of this @#$%!”
 

As a customer, I’m thinking... we don’t want to know the behind the scenes issues of the hotel.  Even more, we prefer to stay in the dark as to the employee problems and the inner-workings of the hotel.

So, let’s talk about whining.  What does it mean?  (To complain or protest in a childish fashion)  We all do it at some point in our lives but I think there is absolutely “WHINING ETIQUETTE.”

CAROL’s WHINING ETIQUETTE...

  1. Don’t whine in front of customers (OMG, can’t believe I have to even say this)
  2. Only whine to people you know well and trust
  3. After a meeting, when things went terribly wrong, hold the whining until you are behind closed doors, the car, your house, etc. 
  4. In place of whining and, in the case you have a boss that truly values your opinion, how about offering suggestions
  5. Set the example for your colleagues, just DON’T DO IT!

We all need an outlet when we don’t have a good day or a good meeting.  When you feel devalued, not appreciated or overworked and underpaid make sure you think twice before you start whining in front of customers.  

NO WHINE ZONE....... 
You may need the WINE ONLY ZONE - lol 

No comments: