Nancy Dischinat, Executive Director,
Lehigh Valley Workforce Investment Board.
Why Hire A Veteran!
Last week I wrote about job-finding services available to veterans at Career Link. This week, I would like to outline some of the many reasons to hire veterans. Hire Heroes USA1 lists some of the qualities that make veterans such valuable employees:
· Accelerated Learning Curve: vets have a proven ability to learn new skills and concepts quickly
· Leadership: veterans are trained to lead by example, delegation, motivation and inspiration
· Teamwork: vets understand responsibility to their colleagues and how groups work together
· Diversity and Inclusion in Action: vets have worked respectfully and cooperatively with people of different race, ethnicity, religion and gender
· Efficient Performance under Pressure: vets have experience achieving in spite of stress or adversity
· Respect for Procedures: vets understand how policies and procedures yield stability, safety and production
· Technology and Globalization Awareness: vets have a global perspective and are often on the cutting edge of technology
· Integrity: integrity is ingrained in vets and translates to sincerity and trustworthiness
· Conscious of Health and Safety Standards: vets understand the importance of protection of self, others and property
· Triumph over Adversity: vets have been tested by adversity and proven their ability to overcome challenges and obstacles.
Who wouldn't want these qualities in an employee?
In addition, the VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011 provides expanded Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) and Special Employee Incentives (SEI) for businesses that hire certain eligible veterans. The tax credit is determined by factors including employment and financial status and disability. The credit can be as much as $9,600 depending on the individual hired. I hope you will consider hiring a veteran for your open position.
1 www.hireheroesusa.org. Hire Heroes USA is a national organization dedicated to assisting veterans in their career searches.