Thursday, December 17, 2015

Elmer Gates is My Hero!!







Nancy Dischinat,
Executive Director,
Lehigh Valley Workforce Development Board, Inc.


Elmer Gates is my Hero!
I never had a Hero until I met Elmer Gates. Although my definition of Hero is probably different than yours, the word Hero has a connotation that I believe we all innately understand.
It is not that he saves the day for me, or eliminates tall buildings that obstruct my path, or even comes to my defense when craziness forces its way into my life and career.   

My Hero does not fix issues, oh no, as Elmer coaches me, issues are homework that need a lesson plan.   I imagine by now you understand that Elmer has assigned me many lesson plans.  Oh drat, I have enough work without homework Elmer!  Another lesson?  My Hero always helps me complete my lesson plans.

My Hero recently released a book called U-Turn Leadership that “takes the reader through a tour of his leadership experiences.”  Well, actually, Elmer Gates is the ghost writer of life chapters for many people, chapters that end as his book begins with “Results count!”
Elmer wrote in my copy of U-Turn Leadership that “you are never satisfied Nancy.” True.  Elmer taught me that results do count, but yesterday’s results are over, so what are your results for today and for tomorrow?  Oh boy.

I know this man, he is my Hero.  Once I tried to buy him a birthday gift and then realized that… he is a gift.  I love you Elmer Gates.
~Nancy

Biography of Elmer Gates


Mr. Elmer D. Gates served as President and Chief Operating Officer of Fuller Company ("Fuller") since 1982. Mr. Gates served as the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of Fuller. He served as the Chairman of Embassy Bancorp, Inc., until June 2009 and its subsidiary Embassy Bank from 2001 to June 2009. He served as the Chairman of the Board at Paragon Technologies Inc. Mr. Gates served as a Vice Chairman of Fuller until 1999. Prior to Fuller, he has a thirty-one year career at General Electric Corp. Mr. Gates served as the Chairman of the Board of SI Handling Systems, Inc. Until December 1999, he served as Vice Chairman of Fuller Company, Bethlehem, Pa. He has been a Lead Director of Embassy Bancorp, Inc., since June 2009. Mr. Gates has been a Director of Embassy Bancorp, Inc., and of Embassy Bank since 2008 and 2001 respectively. Mr. Gates serves as a Director of PPL Corporation, the Lehigh Valley Economic Development Corporation, and President of the Lehigh Valley Partnership. He served as a Director of PPL Electric Utilities Corporation since 1989. He served as a Director of Ambassador Bank. He has a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Clarkson College.





No comments: