Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Passion drives excellence at Small Business Council’s Excellence in Business Event

Barry Diehl, Your Neighborhood Drycleaner, Small Business Council Chair

I always find the Small Business Council’s Excellence in Business event very inspirational. Who wouldn’t want their company to be recognized for excellence? Each year I get something out of it that I apply to my business, and I also feel there is one message rings through loud and clear. Every winner has a deep abiding passion for what they do. That passion is evident whether their business is accounting, insurance, or jewelry, and clearly drives them to excellence.

Webster defines passion as a strong feeling of enthusiasm or excitement for something or about doing something. We all have seen someone that exudes passion for what they do. Perhaps it is easiest to see it in athletes who wear their passion for everyone to see. While it might not sustain them to excellence every time, talent born out of hard work, driven by passion will usually lead them to a successful career. Children also have passions in abundance for things that excite them and make them endlessly happy. Some pursue their passions into careers. Others keep them as something to turn to when they are not working. I do believe that those who can engage their passions at work will be the happiest and achieve excellence.

My purpose is not help you define your passions, but to realize that you have them. Perhaps they are a part of what you do for a living. If they are not, maybe I can convince you to introduce them to your work life. I think it will make things a lot more fun, and who wouldn’t want that?

No comments: